Posted to rec.woodworking
gw

Default Stair supports?

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Do you have any pictures you can post in the binary group? More than a
couple of us are not understanding what you are saying. Screws and nails
have been holding houses together for quite a while and unless there is
something very unique in what you're doing, I just can't understand all of
this concern over shear strength and nails backing out. You know what
they
say - a picture is worth a thousand words.

--

-Mike-

If I understand the OP correctly, he is not cutting the typical "sawtooth"
in the stringer, just laying a complete 2x12 on an angle. The stair treads
are then mounted to nailers, which are attached to the stringer at the
appropriate angle to make the tread level. Seen from the side, you would not
be able to see the ends of the treads.

I have a similar set of deck stairs, but mine are done with dados in the two
end stringers, and a traditional third stringer in the center.