Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeW

Default Veritas MK.II Honing Guide - Excellent

Hi Doug,

The website will within a couple more weeks I believe. Lot's of
scuttlebutt around the net. As well, there are hints and confirmation
of several other planes and what not.

As to cambering, that's the one thing I really appreciated about the
one you have, as well as others with narrow rollers. Of course,
that's when some people complained about rocking edge tools and
rounding edges they wanted straight. Hence the wide flat roller on
the MK.II I believe. And it's really good at that.

Then, of course, people wanted to be able to camber with the new
jig--and it is darn hard to beceuase of the wide roller. What's a
company to do? g.

Anyway, I use a lot of them especially at classes, and I appreciate
their various strengths and weaknesses. Probably my favorite is that
Millers Falls from the 1930s or so. It is very similar as the former
LV guide you have.

Still easier to hone by hand...until I mess up an edge.

Take care, Mike