Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

Default Veritas MK.II Honing Guide - Excellent

On 26/04/2006 1:48 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

I think you're confusing the MKI and the MKII.

Could be, I'd never heard of the Mk-I; when I bought mine, it wasn't
called the Mk-anything, near as I can remember. Now it's just called the
"sharpening system".

No, the "cambered lower roller" is a roller that is not actually a
cylinder, but rather slightly tapered towards both ends. The idea is to
allow you to hone a slight radius to the blade.

Interesting. Neither the catalogue nor the Web site makes any mention of
that, that I can see. Makes me even more convinced that I should stick
with what I have; a tapered roller would probably just drive me nuts,
and I can already get a radiused edge on plane blades by applying a bit
of extra pressure on either side of the blade. Thanks for the info.