Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeW

Default Veritas MK.II Honing Guide - Excellent

Doug Paynewrote:
On 25/04/2006 8:01 PM, MikeW wrote:

Narrow chisels and Japanese dovetail chisels can still be

problematic.
So perhaps a chorus of one.

There are a couple ways to mitigate the issue. One is to carefully
tighten both sides down evenly and squarely. Tis the last part of
that which affects narrow chisels the most. If the clamp bar sits
askew even a little, the pressure exerted on the chisel from a side
angle can/will cause the chisel to pivot if not downright move.
[...]

I've been happily using the older Veritas "sharpening
system" for a long
time, perhaps more than 15 years. The "new and improved"
Mk.II seems way
too complicated and prone to problems like this. I guess I just like
simpler designs.[/quote:98ffade8e1]
Hi Doug,

Actually, more people over the history of the former honing guide had
problems with tools twisting. Add to the new one the skew
registration jig--another issue people have had setting up other jigs
altogether--and the cambered roller lower assembly--yet another
issue--and the new jig offers quickly repeatable use.

In the classes I teach regarding hand tool use--and in particular
sharpening--most of the class participants find the new guide
actually easier than the former or other guides on the market. I
often take a small collection of honing guides to these classes, most
vintage, some other currently available guides, including the former
LV honing guide and the Millers Falls on which I think it was based.

I personally only use a guide to ensure skew angled tools are honed
accurately and to correct the inevitable variance from repeated hand
honing. But when I do, it is quick and easy.

But the MK.II isn't for everyone. That's why we have variety.

Take care, Mike