Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Free standing deck

"riverhome" wrote in message
oups.com...
8 X 8 sunk 4 feet. 12' next to home extending out 16'. I'm the wife,
my husband can talk more intelligently about this, but we would like
not to drill/break into exterior walls. That's why we thought free
standing deck. Cross lacing -- how without obstructing basement door?
We can cross lace on south side (opposite basement door) and west side
without any problem.

By second story, do you men 8' off the ground or 16'? Can be done, of
course, but it will take some engineering to do it. You'll have to convince
the building inspector that it can take the wind load for your region, below
frost line, etc.

Just four lag bolts anchored into the masonry adds considerable strength
(torsional resistance?) But, since you prefer not to drill into the
masonry, you'll be adding considerably to the cost and materials needed.
Even a couple of anchor points will help with stability if you have
something to attach too.

IMO, the engineering is the easy part, the building inspector will be the
hard part.