Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
GregS

Default WD-40 alternative for corrosion treatment?

In article , the_blogologist wrote:
I can't say about its use on circuit boards, but my experience using
WD-40 is that it causes RUST. I donno what it is about WD-40, i've long
speculated it displaced other oil, then slowly evaporated over months
leaving the metal unprotected. I never knew "WD" meant "water
displacer". Rust always seems to follow months after using WD-40,
coating with other oil only seems to delay the rust. I've thrown every
can of it away. This stuff is crap.

Diesel makes an ok solvent and leaves a film. I'd rather use that if it
works.

Stinks too. My cellar smells of kerosene and diesel which my furnace uses.

There was some caveats to using WD-40. I got some info from a seemingly
reliable source. There was speculation to having some silicone oil in there
and some problems with aircraft wings. This is on my cleaner page.

http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/cleaner.htm

greg