Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

Default Veritas MK.II Honing Guide - Excellent

On 25/04/2006 8:01 PM, MikeW wrote:

Narrow chisels and Japanese dovetail chisels can still be problematic.
So perhaps a chorus of one.

There are a couple ways to mitigate the issue. One is to carefully
tighten both sides down evenly and squarely. Tis the last part of
that which affects narrow chisels the most. If the clamp bar sits
askew even a little, the pressure exerted on the chisel from a side
angle can/will cause the chisel to pivot if not downright move.
[...]

I've been happily using the older Veritas "sharpening system" for a long
time, perhaps more than 15 years. The "new and improved" Mk.II seems way
too complicated and prone to problems like this. I guess I just like
simpler designs.