Posted to rec.woodworking
LDR

Default Veritas MK.II Honing Guide - Excellent

In article ,
lid says...
Hi LDR,

Narrow chisels and Japanese dovetail chisels can still be problematic.
So perhaps a chorus of one.

There are a couple ways to mitigate the issue. One is to carefully
tighten both sides down evenly and squarely. Tis the last part of
that which affects narrow chisels the most. If the clamp bar sits
askew even a little, the pressure exerted on the chisel from a side
angle can/will cause the chisel to pivot if not downright move.

Aside from the above, another way to help is to glue a piece of fine
sandpaper to the lower roller assembly, across the whole length,
where the chisel back makes contact. I have used 180 grit. This works
well.

On another trial, I glued a *very* thin piece of neoprene in the same
location and I perhaps liked it better. One needs to select a very
thin piece, thinner than the former jig had, which was too thick and
squishy. That thicker piece only served to allow a certain amount of
spring/twist which allowed a narrow chisel to twist anyway.

The above methods have helped many people, but not all. I have then
suggested for narrow chisels to purchase an inexpensive side-clamp
jig. They have their own bugaboos, but do work for the narrow chisels
if they are not too short.

Hi Mike. I actually solved the problem by spending my way through it,

buying a Kell jig. I was practically using a micrometer to tighten the
Veritas evenly before giving up. The idea of using sandpaper did occur
to me but I never acted on it. I was told at the last woodworking show
in Portland,Or, that Lie Neilsen was developing a jig too. It will be
interesting to see what they come up with. Larry