Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Default Veritas MK.II Honing Guide - Excellent

A couple plane blades, a full set of my best chisels and a couple of construction chisels are now perfectly beveled and microbeveled.

I have an MK.II also, and I generally agree - excellent idea for a
product. I've got some very sharp chisels as a result. However, I
have a question... When I adjust the roller from regular to microbevel
position, it seems to change the side-to-side angle of the blade. As a
result, I always end up with long thin triangles for microbevels,
unless I give the chisel a little tap to compensate. I'm pretty sure
it's not that my blades are out of square (it's happened with multiple
blades, and I've measured with a square). I'm also pretty sure it's
not my stone, as it happens whether I sharpen on a water stone or
600-grit wet/dry on top of glass.
I've been meaning to contact Lee Valley about this, and I have no doubt
they'll take care of me - either giving me advice on how to correct the
problem, fixing the jig, replacing it, or refunding my money. Before I
do that, though, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same
thing.
Another interesting side note - last time I contacted Lee Valley with a
question on this MK.II honing guide, I was wondering whether this could
be used for skew chisels. Answer: not easily. A couple months later,
I get a catalog with a brand new product - a skew chisel registration
jig for the MK.II! That's a great company - not only does customer
service communicate with other departments, but they actually do
something in response to customer feedback!
Keep it up, Robin!
Andy