Michael Cameron

Default Odors from Running a Mini Lathe

Jim Stewart wrote in message ...
Finite Guy wrote:
Hi all: As I have mentioned here before, I am looking to buy a mini
lathe. I am thinking of putting it in my basement. This may seem
like a silly question/topic but does the use of these lathes cause
various odors (burning or oil like smell) that will permiate my house.

My wife and daughter (and pet bird) may not like unusual odors to
linger. Actually, the pet bird could die from certain vapors.
I could put the lathe in my unheated garage, but I'd rather not.
Robert

Without knowing the sensitivity of the people in question,
it's hard to give you a good answer. Sulfur-based cutting
oils can have a strong odor even when cold and when you
take a hard cut with them it just gets worse. My wife has
never complained about it though. On the other hand, she
hates it when my clothes get permeated with the smell of
WD-40 from milling aluminum.

One thing I've tried is using peanut oil for a cutting
fluid. It's not as good as a proper cutting fluid, but
it does work and nobody complains about the smell of
roasting peanuts. Lard oil is another possibility. If
you are tidy, your shop will smell faintly like frying
bacon. If not, rancid pig fat (:

Jim

I also dislike the smell of kerosene or WD40. For milling aluminum I use
smokeless lamp oil from the hardware store, about $5 for half gallon. Near
as I can tell, it is desented kerosene.

Michael no xx's in address