Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
GregS

Default WD-40 alternative for corrosion treatment?

In article .net, wrote:
Thus spake Charlie+:

...then coated with WD40 for about 30 minutes, compressed air again to remove

most of the WD40 then baked in a warm oven for about 4 hours to flash off the

remaining oil, repired some obviously corroded SM joints by flux/solder and
iron reflow (under magnification!) and then reassembled. The point of the
WD40 soak was to arrest any ongoing corrosive action, it is thin enough to
wick anywhere the original liquid has gone. ...

I fully appreciate your creative technique of halting the corrosion. This is
a concern for me, and until your post, I wasn't sure how to address that
(other than using flux + solder on accessible lead corrosion), especially
that hidden beneath components.

WD-40 -- while it may be effective in this application -- stinks! This is a
laptop I'll be using (if I'm successful), which pretty much places my nose
right above the logic board. Can't imagine smelling that awful smell for
years.

Can someone offer an alternative for WD-40 to arrest corrosion on PC traces
and component leads?

Your not going to smell it if its baked like he said until all oil is evaporated.

By the way, I usually coat the board or anything I have sprayed with water
with WD-40.

Want something more aromatic, try some Bullfrog electronic
contact cleaner.
I think it smells pretty!

if not, get some stuff at The Home Depot, CRC 2-26 Lubricant, almost
no smell, its plastic safe, multi purpose, presision lubricant, improves electrical properties,
as read on can. Really cheap too, but slightl more than WD-40.
They also have a no residue electronic contact cleaner which is also cheap for
a large supersized can.

greg