Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

Default bench grinder wheel replacement? - SOLVED

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
OK, I took a short nap and as often happens woke up with the solution. The
solution in this case is laughably trivial - if I turn the wrenches one
way and it removes the wrong shaft nut, the solution is simply to turn the
wrenches the other way. I have had a serious case of cranial rectumitis
over this issue for many years apparently.

Think if it were a piece of e.g. allthread. Grab one nut and put a wrench
on the other, and if you tighten one nut you tighten them both, right?
Well, if one end of a shaft has a RH thread and the other has a LH thread,
then if you tighten one you loosen the other. So removing isn't a problem,
it's tightening that's a problem, and that must be why everyone was
telling me to use impact to tighten it.

Sigh. At least the world is back in order, and I got my other wheel off.

GWE

Sorry .. I thought you were trying to get your nuts off .. I definately
wouldn't use an impact to put em on.