Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default bench grinder wheel replacement?

They make vise-grips for tubes/shafts. A split thin-walled tube (or roofing
copper, etc) over the unthreaded part of the shaft end that loosened should
give the 'grips a good grip, w/o gouging the shaft.

You might also consider machining (grinding?) a square or hex onto the end
of each shaft, that clears the nut, if you have the extra shaft length.

Now, what's the secret to getting these goddamm wheels to run *true*????
goodgawd....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I have a little Rockwell 3-phase grinder I picked up recently. It had been
wired completely wrong and today I rewired it and it runs smooth as glass.
I have the same problem with it that I have had with every bench grinder,
though. The shaft spins one way, so the wheels rotate down towards the tool
rest. The nut on one end of the shaft is RH and the nut on the other end is
LH. If I put a wrench on both shaft nuts and crank, one will loosen. The
question is, how do I loosen the other one? I can't for the life of me see
why grinder manufacturers don't put a hole you can put a pin in to lock the
shaft for changing wheels. I sure don't want to put Vise Grips on the naked
threads - what is the trick I'm missing?

GWE