Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default PING Fred Holder thanks for comments

In article ,
Fred Holder wrote:

Thank you Tom and Robert for the support. I and others have somewhat
withdrawn from the group because of those who seem to feel that they
must criticize every post that does not agree with their thinking. I
originally started withdrawing because of a fellow, whose name I've
forgotten, started attacking me on almost every post that I made and
claimed that I was only posting to promote my business. He even began
writing very critical e-mails to me. I believe he was possibly
responsible for others withdrawing from the group.

I echo Tom, Robert and others', enjoyment and appreciation of your
participation here, Fred. (I also noticed a post by Tony Manella the
other day... stick around Tony!) Please don't let the current crop of
individuals distance you again. We lost some fine talent and
well-spoken, friendly folks a couple years ago - at the time you pulled
back too. I still miss Lyn's posts and his in-depth analysis of all the
turning stuff he had - and continue to reread his past posts and More
Woodturning articles when I have a purchase decision.

(For those unfamiliar with what I'm referring to, look up posts by Lyn
Mangiameli on, say, hollowing tools. He would actually try out a half
dozen "systems" and report his likes and dislikes with each. He
approached it as a hands-on evaluation with just a touch of his
science/medical background thrown in.

I don't do any in depth scientific analysis of things. I simply try
them, if they work, I like to share the information with others.

BINGO! Who cares whether something is grounded with solid scientific
reasoning - if it works for you (the generalized "you") then WOOHOO! -
you found something to aid your turning. If waxing tearout works to get
a better cut, then who cares whether it stiffens or lubricates or makes
the fibers smell good? It works for those who swear by it.

A simple dissenting: "I don't believe it's a stiffening action of the
wax that results in a better cut but I'm glad it works for you" reply is
all that is necessary. Let's keep things civil and, unless it's a life
and death situation, sometimes we can just keep our keyboards quiet when
we disagree. Just smile and let the poor sap believe what he believes
and confine your commentary to more important issues, such as how to
solve our own problems.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.