Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Sehr

Default bench grinder wheel replacement?

I hand tighten then take a long box wench on the nut and slap the far end of
same with another wench. I have been doing this for over 50 years and have
had fellow workers
say I tighten them too much. It is the slap that does it and it works for
me.
Jim

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I have a little Rockwell 3-phase grinder I picked up recently. It had been
wired completely wrong and today I rewired it and it runs smooth as glass.
I have the same problem with it that I have had with every bench grinder,
though. The shaft spins one way, so the wheels rotate down towards the tool
rest. The nut on one end of the shaft is RH and the nut on the other end is
LH. If I put a wrench on both shaft nuts and crank, one will loosen. The
question is, how do I loosen the other one? I can't for the life of me see
why grinder manufacturers don't put a hole you can put a pin in to lock the
shaft for changing wheels. I sure don't want to put Vise Grips on the naked
threads - what is the trick I'm missing?

GWE