Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Default PING Fred Holder thanks for comments

George,
I've valued a number of your posts. And will look forward to others, I'm
sure.
Still I have to say that if you could just take a chill pill to calm your
righteousness it would make listening to you so much easier. "Singer/song"
"Irritating/pompous ass" are descriptions that too often are accurate. This
isn't a personal attack but a simple "wake up" comment.

As the years have passed and my expertise grown in so many areas I have
observed that, at times, all the scientific documentation and logic that I
tend to use don't explain certain phenomena. Some factor is not included. So
an open-minded acceptance of practical reality is reasonable to consider
until further evidence is acquired.

So, add data and some great reference links but just try to be less
value-judging while we other folks explore. Discoveries are often the
combination of data, green-light thinking, and comfortable, respectful,
no-fault discussions. If everything was already decided and determined we'd
be wasting our money on new research.

TomNie

Clue: sometimes it's the singer, not the song.

With Fred, absolutely. He's made the statement directly. It's the
messenger, not the message. Halo effect is the limit of his "research."
Someone has accidental success with something - but a reputation - then as
the original "spielendoktor" has it, it becomes truth by repetition. The
hobby is full of turning legends originated by turning legends that are
plain false. One immediately to mind is that wax will "harden" soft wood
for sanding. I suppose, had the first little pig used some wax to bond
that straw house, the wolf would be a vegetarian today.

Personally, I don't think Michael Jordan, fine player he was, knows much
about jockey shorts that we haven't discovered on our own.