Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Smitty Two

Default Repairing corrosion damage to PCBs

In article .net,
DaveC wrote:

There are many web pages dedicated to emergency procedures to take if you
spill a drink into a laptop. But I don't find any describing what to do about
remaining corrosion.

I was given a laptop that had coffee (no sugar, I'm told) spilled into the
keyboard. The owner turned off the power and removed the battery and drained
the computer as best he could, but did not take any steps to rinse out the
coffee. Some time later the computer quit.

There is evidence of corrosion on pc traces, SMD component and connector
leads:

http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/27f71caf77.jpg

I plan to soak the board(s) in a weak solution of dishwashing detergent and
mineral-free h2o and dry for a few days. (Is there a more effective
solution?)

In preparation for examination and repair of any compromised conductors on
the pcbs, what's the best way to remove (ie, halt) the green & black residue
of corrosion?

Thanks,

I'll take a shot at this, but YMMV. We clean our newly minted PWBAs in a
somewhat corrosive mixture of saponifier and distilled water. They're
then rinsed in fresh distilled water. Occasionally they're left in the
soap too long, or not rinsed well, and the nice shiny new solder joints
end up dull and dark.

I've cleaned gold contacts with liquid silver detarnish, but the best
thing for corroded solder is a drop of (can you believe it?) liquid
flux, and then reflow the joint.

If you've got actual crystals growing, or other severe surface
contamination, a stiff brushing (I use an acid brush with bristles cut
quite short to stiffen them) should preface the reflow work.