Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal

Default Musing about single chucking vs reverse chucking.

In article ,
(Arch) wrote:
and robust small extended chuck jaws. How many of you turn bowls without
reversing the blank? How? Why? Why not? Perhaps a better question is
When?

Well, in the "olden days" I never reverse-turned. I'd get one side of a
blank flat by some means, glue it to a backer on a faceplate with some
paper in between, turn the bowl, split off the joint, and sand off the
paper scraps.

Before _that_ I just lived with 3 screw holes in the bottoms of my
bowls, and learned to avoid making the bottom too thin.

Given various limitations of equipment and time, I've been known to
still use a faceplate, though now that I've gotten to be better equipped
for bigger chunks of log, I often reverse faceplate it (using the first
mount to turn a flat spot for the second mounting), and I eschew the
retained holes in favor of shaping most of it with a fat foot, then
parting the foot mostly off and hollowing it up a bit by using all the
space I can get at the back, followed by cutting the stub and using the
60-grit gouge to remove any traces of stub.

Things often move enough that reverse mounting means having to make a
decision about where the new circle meets the old ellipse - while that
should be no different with single mounting for the same movement, it
does not usually feel that way, or at least you know that you are
fighting wood movement rather than a lousy job of remounting.