Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

Default PING Fred Holder thanks for comments

Thank you Tom and Robert for the support. I and others have somewhat withdrawn
from the group because of those who seem to feel that they must criticize every
post that does not agree with their thinking. I originally started withdrawing
because of a fellow, whose name I've forgotten, started attacking me on almost
every post that I made and claimed that I was only posting to promote my
business. He even began writing very critical e-mails to me. I believe he was
possibly responsible for others withdrawing from the group.

I don't do any in depth scientific analysis of things. I simply try them, if
they work, I like to share the information with others. I have never completely
withdrawn from the group, simply stopped posting as much as I did before there
were a number of attacks of my posts. I post occasionally because I feel that
something if being overlooked in the discussions. That was the case with freeze
drying, alcohol drying, and vacuum drying.

Now, to my qualifications, I'm not a scientist, I am a writer and reporter. I've
been a technical writer for over 40 years. I've written extensively on
woodturning and blacksmithing and on electronics. I have written four books on
woodturning subjects, one currently in the publishing stage. I have published
More Woodturning for almost 10 years. I have never missed an issue and often had
to write every word in the publication myself. I have published Blacksmith's
Gazette continuously since 1994 and am responsible for starting the
alt.crafts.blacksmithing newsgroup several years ago.

I've been actively turning wood since 1988 and have always been experimental
with my work. I turn a few bowls, but mostly turn other things, which not many
others are doing, like the Chinese Ball and hand thread chasing. I attend the
Utah Woodturning Symposium each year (have been doing so since 1997) and will be
demonstrating this year for the first time. I've attended several of the AAW
symposiums and have been a member of AAW for many years. I've demonstrated
woodturning in Norway, England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Canada, New Zealand,
and extensively in the United States.

I've also been a woodcarver for a goodly number of years, but turning is still
my love. However, I think my real love is writing about woodturning.

Well, I've gone on way too long, so thanks for the support.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article .com,
says...

I think so too, Tom. Fred is tremendous resource for turning knowledge
and has been for years. I personally am glad to see him back on the
group more these days.

Robert