Larry Jaques

Default Alternatives to an RF30 - help needed

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:03:58 GMT, "Peter Grey"
brought forth from the murky depths:

So here's a question. Penn Tool has an inexpensive knee mill (see
http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/4487.cfm) that would fit into my
shop as well as a DM45 or RF30 would. The problem I see with it is that
with only 11.2" spindle to table, and 3.2" of spindle travel, it's severely
limited as a drill press.

Check out Grizzly's offerings. They have several better at similar or
lower prices and G3102 which is nearly identical except for weight.
www.grizzly.com

IOW, it may be a better mill but drilling holes
in going to be a PITA. For an all-rounder such as myself this limits its
attractiveness. If I bought this knee mill, wouldn't a need a real drill
press too?

Ask yourself: "How often do I have to drill deep holes?"
Be honest with yourself. "What am I making? What WILL I be
making?" Buy machinery which will allow you to do that.

BTW, when using a knee mill, does the table or knee need to be
in the full elevated position when milling or drilling?

Why would you? It's adjustable for different height workpieces.
(Guessing here. I haven't worked on a real mill since 8th Grade
metal shop.)

* Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
* --Noah * http://www.diversify.com