Bruce L. Bergman

Default Help with CA Propane OPD exemptions anyone?

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:37:50 GMT, someone who calls themselves Kent
Fowler wrote:
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 05:07:44 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

I can't find any links, but not from lack of searching...

I need to find the California rules for marking a non-OPD propane
cylinder exempt for "Industrial Use" so it can be filled, and I can't
find that information anywhere. I have several older barbecue bottles
that are fine for use with my weed-burner, but nobody will fill them.

My propane dealer said the regs state a non OPD can be filled
by labeling the bottle " Welding Gas" Lots of industry uses propane
instead of acetylene these days and this lets the bottles get filled.

I just went to my local welding supply today, who also has a propane
filling station - and they gave me a different slant - "We can't fill
the non-OPD bottles here ourselves, but we can exchange them like for
like." My guess is that they have to fill them by weight so there's
no chance of going over.

Gee, It'd be nice to ask a simple question and get a straight answer
once in a while... :-P

So I gave up - went to Harbor Fright and got a torch (On Special,
even!), and used a regular OPD tank for the torch - and it didn't try
to choke off.

Of course, I didn't try slamming the trigger wide open and holding
it there either, 2/3 open (with a nice afterburner roar) was more than
enough heat for warming up a 6" x 4' patch so the finish coat tamped
down nice and flat. A little blacktop coating and it'll disappear.

-- Bruce --
--
Bruce L. Bergman, POB 394, Woodland Hills CA 91365, USA
Electrician, Westend Electric (#726700) Agoura, CA

WARNING: UCE Spam E-mail is not welcome here. I report violators.
SpamBlock In Use - Remove the "Python" with a "net" to E-Mail.