Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replace Yale lock wothout a key

The Medway Handyman wrote:
tarquinlinbin wrote:

I'd first spend a fair bit of time trying to pick it as unless you
drill it correctly,you might create a lot more mess/expense for
yourself.

Picking a lock is nothing like as easy as the films would have you believe.
I know a few escapologists and picking locks is a last resort with them.

Its a funny subject is lockpicking, theres probably more myth than
truth written about it. I'm not an expert at it but have picked a
number of them, all quite legally. Honest. I dont follow the usual
published advice, which seems more bragado than anything, as it takes
some skill to use with any serious success rate, and there are easier
ways. These are less glamorous, and no-one would make any money or
ego-boosting out of telling people how..

The simplest foolproof way to open a euro is to drill it. A 5mm bit
should open it in a minute or so. Its also worth trying any and all
keys youve got, you might get lucky. I doubt its worth buying a picking
set, not unless you want to take a significant interest in the subject.

NT