Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default marking steel, for dial?

Bernard Arnest wrote:
Hi,
I'm nearly done a simple angle jig. The final step is to mark off
the angles. One part is SST, the other plain carbon.

I may be able to get access to a laser cutter to etch in the marks,
but easier still might be to take a tiny endmill (I have one) or even
just a center-drill and, with an indexing head on a mill, preceed to
etch in all 360 tick marks.

However, while this will leave permanent tick marks, they'll vanish
from sight if light isn't bouncing off the right way.

Should I just paint in some enamel, maybe even a sharpie marker?
What do you recommend?

-Bernard Arnest

Could you etch the 360 marks? Consider making a CAD or hand drawing of
them and using a photocopy machine to copy it onto the "resist paper"
that folks who make jewelry decorated with etched patterns use.

There's a woman who works for us who makes jewelry as a hobbby and she's
shown me some quite delicate and detailed patterns she's etched onto
silver that way.

I don't know the chemistry of what you'd use to etch steel and/or
stainless steel, and whether there are photocopyable resist papers which
are compatible with those etchants, but it might be interesting to learn.

Maybody somebody here knows already?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia