Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default pressure relief valve releasing water

No wrote:
wrote:

Since last week every time someone takes a bath the T&P valve
discharges a small amount of water. When this happens, the water looks
a bit rusty. If I pull lever on the valve, the rusty water will drain
and for a day or so there'll be no more leaks, then it starts again. I
checked the water line pressure and it's at 60 PSI.

I've replaced the valve and flushed the tank for about 30 min - two
days later the leak is back and water is rusty again when the lever is
pulled.
Any ideas?

thanks,
GE

If the replaced T&p valve leaks (And its not defective and is a proper
replacement) it means its doing its job, releasing too much pressure.

Even though you have 60psi coming in water, as it heats, expands,
creating more pressure.

You could have a water heater that is over heating, try turning down he
temp a bit.

Also - an expansion tank may be in order if you do not have one. They
are not expensive and easy to install if you can solder.

Here is a picture of one.
http://www.watts.com/prod_images/hi-res/det-20-m1.jpg
If you do not have one thats where i would start if turning down the
heat doesn't solve the problem.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

You should also check to see if you have a backflow check valve or a
pressure reducing valve with a built in check valve in your main water
supply feed line.

If you do, then its almost a certainty that you'd need an expansion tank
to prevent what you're experiencing.

Perhaps you have an expansion tank already and don't know it, and it's
"waterlogged" and not doing its job, and/or it's the kind which has a
rubber diphragm in it which has ruptured.

I suspect that if you check, the valve isn't leaking "when" someone is
taking a bath, but 10 minutes or so after they shut off the hot water
tap and the new cold water which entered the heater gets warmed up and
expands.

And, from the description of the "rusty water" you're finding I'd say
tthat heater is on its last legs too.

HTH,

Jeff

--