Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Default pressure relief valve releasing water

wrote:
Since last week every time someone takes a bath the T&P valve
discharges a small amount of water. When this happens, the water looks
a bit rusty. If I pull lever on the valve, the rusty water will drain
and for a day or so there'll be no more leaks, then it starts again. I
checked the water line pressure and it's at 60 PSI.

I've replaced the valve and flushed the tank for about 30 min - two
days later the leak is back and water is rusty again when the lever is
pulled.
Any ideas?

thanks,
GE

If the replaced T&p valve leaks (And its not defective and is a proper
replacement) it means its doing its job, releasing too much pressure.

Even though you have 60psi coming in water, as it heats, expands,
creating more pressure.

You could have a water heater that is over heating, try turning down he
temp a bit.

Also - an expansion tank may be in order if you do not have one. They
are not expensive and easy to install if you can solder.

Here is a picture of one.
http://www.watts.com/prod_images/hi-res/det-20-m1.jpg
If you do not have one thats where i would start if turning down the
heat doesn't solve the problem.