Peter Grey

Default Alternatives to an RF30 - help needed

Given that I'll be scribing and machining to a line, is there an advantage
to going with a dovetail unit as opposed to a mill with a round column?

Peter
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Peter Grey wrote:

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message for.

Sometimes
it
is best to
remember that a chalk line and a cutting torch may be the metal

cutting
tool best suited. :-)

You casting aspersions on my design and fabrication skills?

Peter

No, I'm saying that a guy that has a tolerance of plus or minus a 1/16
inch, has little need of a jig borer that is capable of holding a
tolerance in the millionths range.

Lot's of guys get lost in the "more accuracy" argument and dont't see
the 'accurate enough" side of things.

Not aimed at anyone in particular. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

That's the chief reason I found myself in agreement with your post. I
still wouldn't own a mill drill, but my way of working isn't the same. I
don't do layouts, I use the screws, so my method would not lend itself to

machine without a knee. That's the way my generation was taught the

trade,
not even with DRO's. The point about working to a layout line was very
convincing, and it's highly unlikely new guys in the hobby will take the
time and gain enough experience to work with the screws. It takes years

of
experience to work that way and do it without making scrap.

Harold