Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default Grease gun advice needed

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
news:YDy1g.1196$Fy1.1142@trnddc02...
I'm tired of not being able to force grease into chassis fittings with my
existing grease guns. Mostly working on my '48 & '52 Pontiacs and my
children's newer cars.
Yes, I've never paid more than $ 24 bucks for a grease gun. Have two
manual guns and one air powered. All the guns prefer to dispense the
grease alongside the zerk fitting rather than into the fitting.

I'm willing to pay a good price and throw all my cheap guns away. Any
recommendations???

I've never seen a mid-priced grease gun that didn't work. You may have
another problem.

Sometimes the ball-checks in zerks freeze up, or dirt clogs the passages.
If one holds the gun nozzle firmly against the zerk, and grease only escapes
around it, suspect a clogged fitting.

Most zerks are easily changed, but if you can't, there's a manual 'hammer'
tool available (Northern Tools) to clear a clogged zerk. It fits over the
fitting like a grease gun nozzle, and with a blow of a hammer, forces light
oil into the fitting to purge it. After such cleaning, a full flushing of
the affected joint with fresh grease finishes the job.

By the way... DONT use the hammer tool on a sealed ball bearing. It'll blow
the seals out.
For that matter, you should never lubricate a bearing unless it's running,
anyway.

I have several machines with close-running bushed shafts. They require a
lot of pressure to lubricate. The cheap ($16) Ace Hardware gun I have does
fine. The baby 'mini-gun' I bought from Discount Auto works fine, too.

LLoyd