Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

Default Grease gun advice needed

In article ,
Jordan wrote:

I used to have an English car, that instead of nipples had plugs on all
grease points. The advice was to remove plug, fit a clean nipple and
then grease. Quite a job!

Certainly makes the labor cost for a basic service higher, and provides
even more opportunity to get dirt in there.

What I find difficult to believe is that I've only ever seen one place
(Clark's Corvair Parts, which I met when I was owned by a '65
convertible for a few years and thus needed to keep their catalog handy)
that had or suggested zerk covers to keep the crap out of them - small,
inexpensive rubber parts. I never really feel that "wiping with a clean
rag" is exactly adequate when the zerk is covered with dirt and sand to
begin with.