Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

Default How do I tell what bolt I need?

"TC" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have snapped a bolt (from a seat post on my bike) so need a
replacement but don't know what to get. Presumably the bolt length and
shaft width and also information about the thread - how do I do find
that out?
Thanks,
TC

From memory, bike seat bolts usually have a 6mm Allen key socket in their
head. I'd guess that the thread would be M6, M7 or M8. The head is usually
recessed into the clamp, which can make finding replacement bolts more
tricky.

You could try some local bike shops. They'll have a few shiny new bolts in
blister packs on display, but the smaller shops will probably have a box of
miscellaneous bolts under the counter to rumage through.