Posted to uk.d-i-y
TC

Default How do I tell what bolt I need?

I have snapped a bolt (from a seat post on my bike) so need a
replacement but don't know what to get. Presumably the bolt length and
shaft width and also information about the thread - how do I do find
that out?
Thanks,
TC

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

"TC" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have snapped a bolt (from a seat post on my bike) so need a
replacement but don't know what to get. Presumably the bolt length and
shaft width and also information about the thread - how do I do find
that out?
Thanks,
TC

From memory, bike seat bolts usually have a 6mm Allen key socket in their
head. I'd guess that the thread would be M6, M7 or M8. The head is usually
recessed into the clamp, which can make finding replacement bolts more
tricky.

You could try some local bike shops. They'll have a few shiny new bolts in
blister packs on display, but the smaller shops will probably have a box of
miscellaneous bolts under the counter to rumage through.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "TC" contains these words:

I have snapped a bolt (from a seat post on my bike) so need a
replacement but don't know what to get. Presumably the bolt length and
shaft width and also information about the thread - how do I do find
that out?

It's almost bound to be metric if it's a recentish bike. Probably 8mm.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TC

Apparently its M5 x 40mm - I assume the threads are always the same.
Any recommendations for somewhere to get something strong on the web?
Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

TC wrote:
I have snapped a bolt (from a seat post on my bike) so need a
replacement but don't know what to get. Presumably the bolt length and
shaft width and also information about the thread - how do I do find
that out?

"Ask at a cycling shop".

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Guy King wrote:
The message from "TC" contains these words:

I have snapped a bolt (from a seat post on my bike) so need a
replacement but don't know what to get.

It's almost bound to be metric if it's a recentish bike. Probably 8mm.

"Probably ISO 8mm fine". HTH.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

TC wrote:
Apparently its M5 x 40mm - I assume the threads are always the same.
Any recommendations for somewhere to get something strong on the web?

I thought it was "a bolt (from a seat post..)". Have you got a tandem?
What bolt *exactly* is it? Why don't you spend 40p at a bicycle shop,
or try your luck at an ironmongers?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message .com, TC
writes
Apparently its M5 x 40mm - I assume the threads are always the same.
Any recommendations for somewhere to get something strong on the web?

A single bolt via the web doesn't sound like it makes much sense unless
you are out in the sticks somewhat.

a local bike shop really is the obvious place - note that the heads on
seat post clamp bolts are a sort of lower profile than your average
Allen headed bolt, and some have shoulders on the body of the bolt etc.

St John Street cycles are good for odd bits/spares, but aren't cheap,
and have (or did anyway) a fairly hefty minimum postage charge

http://www.sjscycles.com/
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
TC wrote:
Apparently its M5 x 40mm - I assume the threads are always the same.

No - different number of threads per mm for different apps. And I'd guess
your app will use an uncommon one since it has to clamp hard but easily.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

TC wrote:

Apparently its M5 x 40mm - I assume the threads are always the same.

Count 10 threads and measure that.
8mm=M5 Standard thread
5mm=M5 Fine thread

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "TC" contains these words:

Apparently its M5 x 40mm

5mm seems very thin for a seatbolt.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message .com
from "TC" contains these words:

Apparently its M5 x 40mm

5mm seems very thin for a seatbolt.

Perhaps that's why it broke. They're not normally something you break!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

"TC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Apparently its M5 x 40mm - I assume the threads are always the same.
Any recommendations for somewhere to get something strong on the web?
Thanks

don't you have a Halfords or a bike shop near you?