JMartin957

Default Reading a tape measure...again

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 21:48:42 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Just how many "Bittys and itty bittys" is that?

Ask Vern Nier. He knows about those things.

Tom:

Larry's on the right track here. Send them all to classes to learn how to read
a vernier scale. If they can get through that, they should be able to handle a
tape.

Not to say they won't ever make stupid mistakes, though. We all do. I do,
anyway. "Measure twice, cut once" usually works, if you add, in between the
measurements, "go to the bathroom, have a smoke, go out and look at the sky,
tell somebody a joke or read the newspaper, then go back and measure it again
from scratch".

You could always take the hardass approach. Make 'em buy their own tapes.
After a mistake, ask to see the tape. Say something like "Gee, Bill, here's
the problem. It's not your fault. Your damn tape is no good. Hell of a thing
when a bad $15 dollar tape screws up a $500 job." Then pick up a pair of
snips, cut the tape, and tell him he should get a new one.

John Martin