Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik

Default Grease gun advice needed

In article WdB1g.40872$P01.1544@pd7tw3no,
"R. Zimmerman" wrote:

The quality of the zerk connection is important. Replacing the fitting
sometimes helps.
Decades ago I can remember being chewed out by my aircraft maintenance
instructor for pushing the fitting straight onto the nipple. That old
English instructor demanded that the connection be rolled on and off the
zerk to preserve the fit. I have no idea if it made a difference.
Randy

I was also taught this in A&P school. Don't ever recall seeing it in
print though...

A good quality coupling/nozzle really makes a big difference, costs
little and lasts practically forever. A good investment if there ever
was one. The one I have rotates around, and can be quickly one hand
configured to reach most any zerk you can find.

OT observation mode on.

Here's a partial list of tool related things I've learned through the
years not to skimp ON.

A good high tension hack saw frame. Better yet, 3 good high tension
frames, one for 18, 24 and 32 TPI blades.

A good bench Vise (properly mounted with the fixed jaw just beyond the
bench edge, allowing long objects to be held vertically). I have a
dedicated ceiling mounted spot light trained right on my Wilton.

Good shop lighting.

A nice for real steel anvil. Doesn't have to be huge unless you really
have a need... however 55 to 65 lbs min.

If you do any automotive work, a top of the line professional floor
jack, along with a set of nice big beefy jack stands.

A nice set of dial or digital calipers. (And take good care of them)

A good combination square.

A good 3/8" drill motor. (I still prefer the old corded drills as they
are smaller, powerful, and won't surprise you with a battery being down
when you need it. Cordless i agree is the way to go if you need the
portability.)

I could go on all night, probably should have started a new thread.

OT observation mode OFF.

Erik

Erik