Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Step up from mini-lathe/mini-mill

Dave,

Yep, that's the classic 'bar up, crib down'...
FWIW you can "bar up and crib up" too...

FYI the 'bar' is a swell 'jack bar' from (I think Costco).. 5 ft long,
hardened with a turned up lip... litfted the BP with no problems...

That goes in the future reference file - thanks!

I learned 'baring up'.. when I was in the service for a crusty old Cheif
Boswains Mate.. that guy could was so good at doing big things with little
things, I'm sure he could do anything with nothing.. :-)

I know a few guys like that. Two are ex-military, the other is _still_
a hippie

Hell when I had my mill/drill I just got another buddy of mine and we just
'muscled it around'... I can push/drag my import lathe around by myself...
If I *need* to lift it two guys can eaysily pick it up off it stand.. It'll
make it easy to load when I sell it ..:-)

When I think about it, I can almost see two guys handling a mill-drill.
I managed to flip my table saw by myself (before I bought the hoist)
by "cornering it" it against a board. Of course, it was not at full
weight because the motor was not installed at that stage.

Yeah I'll probably hois it to the ground.. I had a few microbrews when I
wrote that last note and was still not sure if I was gonna hoist or bar to
do the initial lift...

No problem; thanks for the insight.

Bill