Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

Default Hardie board - painting, nails, caulk

It'll look like absolute crap if you don't paint the nails and caulk.

However, you should look up Hardie's spec's on paint and caulk. The
information is available on the internet. It has been 6 months since we had
Hardie's shake product installed on our house, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the
specifics, but I'm about 98% sure you don't need to prime since the product
comes primed from the factory. You do need to caulk. I don't remember that
2 coats of paint are required, but good coverage is required. Again, look
at Hardie's website to be sure...

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
My family is starting to build a house. We have pretty much settled
on Hardie board for the outside. The builder gave us an estimate of
$26,000 to paint the exterior (which seems high to me). Although we
found a color of Hardie board that we like, he says you still have to
paint it - a primer and two coats. He says that if you don't paint
it, the nails and caulk in the gap between the ends of the boards will
show.

How bad would it look if the nails and caulk aren't painted?
---
Replace you know what by j to email