Posted to alt.home.repair
Jud McCranie

Default Hardie board - painting, nails, caulk

My family is starting to build a house. We have pretty much settled
on Hardie board for the outside. The builder gave us an estimate of
$26,000 to paint the exterior (which seems high to me). Although we
found a color of Hardie board that we like, he says you still have to
paint it - a primer and two coats. He says that if you don't paint
it, the nails and caulk in the gap between the ends of the boards will
show.

How bad would it look if the nails and caulk aren't painted?
---
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

It'll look like absolute crap if you don't paint the nails and caulk.

However, you should look up Hardie's spec's on paint and caulk. The
information is available on the internet. It has been 6 months since we had
Hardie's shake product installed on our house, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the
specifics, but I'm about 98% sure you don't need to prime since the product
comes primed from the factory. You do need to caulk. I don't remember that
2 coats of paint are required, but good coverage is required. Again, look
at Hardie's website to be sure...

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
My family is starting to build a house. We have pretty much settled
on Hardie board for the outside. The builder gave us an estimate of
$26,000 to paint the exterior (which seems high to me). Although we
found a color of Hardie board that we like, he says you still have to
paint it - a primer and two coats. He says that if you don't paint
it, the nails and caulk in the gap between the ends of the boards will
show.

How bad would it look if the nails and caulk aren't painted?
---
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jud McCranie

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:10:22 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

It'll look like absolute crap if you don't paint the nails and caulk.

However, you should look up Hardie's spec's on paint and caulk. The
information is available on the internet.

Their FAQ says that you don't have to paint it, and can choose their
ColorPlus. But that might be if you aren't too concerned with the
looks.
http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/faq/default.php#4

They have a PrimePlus, which is primed at the factory:
http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...intingtips.php

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote:

... Although we found a color of Hardie board that we like, he says
you still have to paint it

One Hardie person repeatedly answered my email question "How long will
it last if it isn't painted?" by saying it's only guaranteed if painted
within 6 months, they've never tested it without paint, and so on.

Another guy at their toll free number said it is somewhat porous to water
and if it's unpainted it may be damaged by freezing and thawing and water
that seeps through to the other side may damage whatever is underneath.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

have you looked into getting color matched caulk? i've used
certainteed fiber cement which comes with color matched caulk and touch
up paint. the only nails that should show are in the uppermost
course..the rest should be blind nailed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jud McCranie

On 20 Apr 2006 04:53:44 -0400, wrote:

One Hardie person repeatedly answered my email question "How long will ...

Thank you for that important information.
---
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jud McCranie

On 20 Apr 2006 03:19:36 -0700, "marson" wrote:

have you looked into getting color matched caulk?

No, but when I met with the builder 8 days ago, he said that it was
impossible to get a perfect match of paint to the color to the Hardie
board color. But it seems to me that maybe it could be close enough
so that it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb, and save a lot of
money.
---
Replace you know what by j to email