Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

Default Grease gun advice needed

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
news:YDy1g.1196$Fy1.1142@trnddc02...
I'm tired of not being able to force grease into chassis fittings with my
existing grease guns. Mostly working on my '48 & '52 Pontiacs and my
children's newer cars.
Yes, I've never paid more than $ 24 bucks for a grease gun. Have two manual
guns and one air powered. All the guns prefer to dispense the grease
alongside the zerk fitting rather than into the fitting.

Sometimes this just means that the other side of the zerk is a impacted
mass of dried up grease (well, you hope it was once grease). Sometimes
replacing the zerk helps, other times you need to disassemble the thing
to get the crap out so that grease can flow again, as the zerk was not
where the problem was. All it takes is someone ignoring the joint for a
few years/decades. I have a bit too much experience with this on my
backhoe, as some former owner did not believe in the stuff (as evidenced
by the coat of paint, not particularly new paint, which lay unbroken
over many zerks).

Note - if you think the problem is the end of your grease gun, you can
buy replacements (end and/or end and tube/hose), and if your existing
guns are not actually too bad, just screw off the old and screw on the
new.