jim rozen

Default Alternatives to an RF30 - help needed

In article , Artemia Salina
says...

...Another advantage to
a horizontal miller which doesn't get mentioned too often, is that the cutters
have many more cutting surfaces than an equivalent end mill, and so the axiom
of "Many hands make light work" comes into play, in this case in the form of
reduced wear on your cutters. It's easier for the home shop machinist to sharpen
plain milling cutters than it is to sharpen end mills, the latter usually
needing to be sent out to a pro.

While this is of course true, there is no reason that end mills
cannot be run on machines like this - and 90% of my work is
done this way.

Other advantages of those hardinge horizontals, is they can
be used a a large gap bed lathe for turning items too big
to fit in a small shop lathe. I've chucked up entire
mtorocycle wheels in mine to skim the brake drums, no need
to unlace them.

Jim

please reply to: