Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed

Default GFX vs home brew

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote

I thought that was because of the peculiarity
of bacteria in the wooden dams that hold the
water supply for the area around Sydney, NSW.

Precisely the same type of dams are used around Sydney
as are use virtually everywhere else in the first world.

I am remembering my visit incorrectly, then.

My host, in Mossman, pointed out the risk of the DWH temperature,
and commented on the wood that was a part of his water supply,
reaching up and picking a sliver out of the nozzle in the shower.

He was clearly pulling your leg.

What explanation is there for this heat requirement,

Basically storage hot water services can end up with
a significant problem if they arent run at a high enough
temperature to kill bacteria, in situations where the
water supply isnt chlorinated like with wells etc.

which doesn't exist in most other parts of the first world?

It does actually. Most obviously with Legionaire's Disease.

And the use of unchlorinated wells with residential
property is much more common in north america too.