Peter Grey

Default Alternatives to an RF30 - help needed

You're right... I'm in San Francisco.

The RF45 is the "Top Tech Geared Head Mill/Drill Dovetail Column", yes?
Penn Tool's is the first of these I've seen with the dovetail. Anybody else
sell this model with the dovetail?

Peter

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
OK, here ya go. Watch this NG until you see a posting by a guy named
"Gunner". Infer his email address. Email Gunner and make a deal with
him for one of his nice small knee mills. Pay the big bucks and have
it shipped. Voila.

Or else go buy an RF-45 from Penn Tool Company. Assuming you're on
the East Coast. (Come to think of it, you didn't actually *say* where
you are - this is something you should provide IMHO.)

There!

Grant Erwin

Peter Grey wrote:

Ok. People in a previous thread have kindly beat me up and suggested I

look
for alternatives to a new RF30 mill. I know very little (nothing,

really)
about what exists in the used machine tool world. I'm an
automotive/racing/motorcycling hobbyist that needs a benchtop sized mill

for
fabbing brackets, component mounts, and a whole bunch of stuff I'm sure

I'll
think of once I get a mill. I have a very limited garage (maybe 200

square
feet) into which this must fit along with a bunch of other tools and a

car.

My question is: what models of mills should I be looking for? I'm

looking
for used equipment of a size and price similar to a new RF30 ($1,000 to
$1,500 without tooling). Also, who are the trustworthy dealers out

there?
IOW, if I can't find what I'm looking for locally, is there a dealer who

can call that will give me the straight scoop on something I can buy

sight
unseen. Even knowing nothing about mills, but having - I think - good
mechanical intuitiveness, buying sight unseen makes me nervous... One
poster suggested a Centec mill and it looks cool but I can't find one

for
sale in the States.

Thanks,

Peter