Grant Erwin

Default Alternatives to an RF30 - help needed

OK, here ya go. Watch this NG until you see a posting by a guy named
"Gunner". Infer his email address. Email Gunner and make a deal with
him for one of his nice small knee mills. Pay the big bucks and have
it shipped. Voila.

Or else go buy an RF-45 from Penn Tool Company. Assuming you're on
the East Coast. (Come to think of it, you didn't actually *say* where
you are - this is something you should provide IMHO.)

There!

Grant Erwin

Peter Grey wrote:

Ok. People in a previous thread have kindly beat me up and suggested I look
for alternatives to a new RF30 mill. I know very little (nothing, really)
about what exists in the used machine tool world. I'm an
automotive/racing/motorcycling hobbyist that needs a benchtop sized mill for
fabbing brackets, component mounts, and a whole bunch of stuff I'm sure I'll
think of once I get a mill. I have a very limited garage (maybe 200 square
feet) into which this must fit along with a bunch of other tools and a car.

My question is: what models of mills should I be looking for? I'm looking
for used equipment of a size and price similar to a new RF30 ($1,000 to
$1,500 without tooling). Also, who are the trustworthy dealers out there?
IOW, if I can't find what I'm looking for locally, is there a dealer who I
can call that will give me the straight scoop on something I can buy sight
unseen. Even knowing nothing about mills, but having - I think - good
mechanical intuitiveness, buying sight unseen makes me nervous... One
poster suggested a Centec mill and it looks cool but I can't find one for
sale in the States.

Thanks,

Peter