Larry Jaques

Default Reading a tape measure...again

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 09:54:16 -0800, Roy
brought forth from the murky depths:

Been there, done that. How about the new guy hired to run the
main cut off saw. A week later we discovered that he did not know
the difference between eights and sixteenths. We lucked out, he
only cut a couple orders short, those were rough cuts for blanks
and we could salvage all of it. Whew!!

Anyway, my suggestions:
1) Go through the shop and replace ALL the tape inserts (yours
and employees) with new ones with sixteenths marked. The inserts
are cheap, buy them by the dozen, replace every 3 to 6 months.
Forbid any non standard tapes to be in the place.

Also, check each tape against the rest. One of the woodworking mags
had an article a couple years ago about the nasty inaccuracies of
tapes, even within a given line. I couldn't find it this morning.

2) Since it was the older guys that screwed up, send them to the
optomistrist for new glasses. You might also have to put brighter
lights in their work areas. Ask me how I know this!

Having just bought 2 new pairs of eyes, I can totally relate.

Murphy was an Optimist