Larry Jaques

Default Book???

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 09:49:37 -0600, "Bob Paulin"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Does anyone know the differences in the various versions?
I'm wondering how they vary from 1937, '45, '65, and '85 or
newer. Were the newer/different/more efficient methods of
post-war machining added around then?

A friend of mine rebuilds machinery, and he told me that the earlier -
pre-17th edition - Machinist Handbooks contain more practical math and
problem solving formulae.

This is actually Machinery's Handbook we're talking about, right?
Someone pointed that out in an earlier post yesterday.

With your advice, I just bid on a 13th edition from 1948.

I already had a 25th edition, but I snapped up a 16th edition for $10 when
the opportunity presented itself, and I can see the difference in available
information.

Newer editions, as you might expect, have kept up with the times and
eliminated a lot of the calculations that old-time machinists used to use,
or that are now handled in CNC and other software applications.

Take a look at Audel's pumps/hydraulics/compressors manual from way
back when, too. It's amazingly comprehensive and detailed.

Murphy was an Optimist