Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.frugal-living
daestrom

Default GFX vs home brew

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
. com...
Solar Flare wrote:
GFX nick
efficiency 6 7
price 5 3
convenience 9 1
wife likes 6 0
----------------------
total score 26 11

GREAT scoring system.

Particularly since GFX is non clogging and works with ALL sewer waters
(grey and black).

Efficiency is NOT the only criteria here. If we recover 40% to 60% of the
waste heat, we have made MAJOR strides in overall DHW production
efficiency. Convenience, non-clogging, wife friendly are all MAJOR
concerns.
Price is NOT the only factor either, but price and efficiency are Nick's
main concerns.

But remember GFX can only recover heat from a 'running water' situation. So
laundry (if you use hot water??), a bathtub, or a sink full of water used to
wash dishes doesn't do *anything* in the GFX. It stores very little heat
for recovery in these 'batch' mode processes.

It really only performs up to it's reputation with showers or if you run
water continuously while doing the dishes or some such.

While Nick's is not as convenient, and it may have some long-term
maintenance issues, it *does* recover/save energy from such batch processes.
But with a total 'storage' of only about 12 gallons, it still wouldn't
really help much in large bath-tub sort of thing (unless you bath in just 12
gallons of water).

daestrom