Trevor Jones

Default Book???

jim rozen wrote:

In article 01c3a5a6$c13165a0$eb93c3d8@race, Bob Paulin says...

A while back, there was a book mentioned on this newsgroup that many felt
was the quintessential book for a metalworking shop.

First book that comes to mind would be nearly any copy
of the machinist's handbook, of whatever vintage.

The next might be the Moltrecht book, and then possibly
the Connelly hand-scraping treatise.

My personal favorite however would be South Bend's tiny
booket entitled "How to Run a Lathe."

Jim

please reply to:

If you serch out "the machinist's handbook" you are likely to find that
it is a dinky little pocket reference book full of sketchy information.

The one you want is called "Machinery's Handbook" and has somwhere near
2000 pages of reference material. Currently in it's 26th Edition, about
$100 new. The older editions are GREAT and can be had for considerably
less. I paid CDN $20 for a 23rd Edition, and $5 for a 20th that I gave
to a friend of mine.

Machinery was a magazine that dealt with industry issues around the
turn of the last century. They collected the wisdom of their
contributors into a handbook. Been going for a long time.

Cheers
Trevor Jones