Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August

Default Step up from mini-lathe/mini-mill

Bill,

Yep, that's the classic 'bar up, crib down'...
FWIW you can "bar up and crib up" too...

FYI the 'bar' is a swell 'jack bar' from (I think Costco).. 5 ft long,
hardened with a turned up lip... litfted the BP with no problems...

I learned 'baring up'.. when I was in the service for a crusty old Cheif
Boswains Mate.. that guy could was so good at doing big things with little
things, I'm sure he could do anything with nothing.. :-)

On "bar up crib down" - I did some searching and might follow. Are you
saying that you used a lever to lift/walk it up onto stacked boards
(1x4+2x4), then somehow removed the dolly, then lifted to remove the 2x4's
(one front, one back?), then repeated to remove the 1x4's one at a time?

Hell when I had my mill/drill I just got another buddy of mine and we just
'muscled it around'... I can push/drag my import lathe around by myself...
If I *need* to lift it two guys can eaysily pick it up off it stand.. It'll
make it easy to load when I sell it ..:-)

Yeah I'll probably hois it to the ground.. I had a few microbrews when I
wrote that last note and was still not sure if I was gonna hoist or bar to
do the initial lift...
If I bar it'll be bar all the way, If I hoist it'll be hoist all the way...

I hear you on the buying the hoist but I have 2 pals that own them and it's
much cheaper to borrow one..:-)

--.- Dave

I wrestled my mill-drill into place using just a hoist and a lever to push
it over the "cliff" between my driveway and garage floor. Well, I
actually abused the hoise as a dolly by lowering the machine onto 2x4's
across the legs of the hoist, both as a backup support and to keep it from
swinging. I found 670 lb to be quite sufficient One question about
your Clausing: would it be easier to use the hoist to go from dolly to
ground?

FWIW, I bought a $140 engine hoist, and have found various uses for it
since getting the mill.

Bill