Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Wiring a Generator Independent of the house's wiring

This is actually a cheap, simple, safe,and approved method of transfer. I've
only seen it made by Square D for the QO series

"Pete C." wrote in message
m Ransley wrote:

Does the sqare d have watt meters, he did say portable gen, it would be
to easy to overload the gen without a way to monitor it. I never looked
into square d, I just put in the Generac kit since it was complete and
pre wired .

The Square D kit is nothing more than an approved interlock plate that
only allows one of the two (main or back feed) breaker to be on at the
same time, and a retainer bracket that prevents the back feed breaker
from being inadvertently removed from the panel. There are no meters,
inlet connectors, etc. The kit I used is a QOCGK2 if you want to see it
on the Square D site, it's very different from the little generator sub
panels.

As noted this is about a $30 kit that can take the place of a $200+ full
125A transfer switch. Even adding the cost of the back feed breaker and
inlet box for a small generator it would total perhaps $100.

Overloading a small generator isn't much of a concern since the
generator will have it's own circuit breakers and it will just pop them
or stall the engine if you switch in too big a load like a central A/C
compressor.

The interlock kit is a particularly good option for those who are
comfortable doing load management, or in cases where a generator large
enough to handle most everything is being installed.

Pete C.