Capitol

Default Building Control system/procedures etc

Which just goes to show that the lunatics have taken over the government
asylum. IMO a large reduction in BCO's activities is a requirement for the
next governments election manifesto. At least if we are stupid enough to
join the EU, we can move into the continental mode of having so many rules
that we can ignore all of them!
Regards
Capitol

River Tramp wrote in message
. ..
We may of acepted this some years ago, but now the estimate has to be based
on what a reasonable builder would charge.

RT

"rob w" wrote in message
. com...
Andy Hall wrote in message

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:12:41 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan Webb"
wrote:

Andrew,
Thanks for reply
RE this bit:
2. It seems that the fee must be based on a written estimate from a
plumber - which is unethical to get one round to quote when I have

not
the wherewithal to get them to do the job, esp as they must know

that it
costs £4-5k for most CH- is this just my local Council, or how they

are
required to operate?

I have to admit I don't understand this query. The arrangement will

go
something like the following:

EXTRACT FROM COUNCIL WEBSITE....
"Tables C1 and C2 ? Table C1 (PDF file 19KB) applications are based on
an estimate of the cost of the work and must be accompanied by a

written
estimate that would be charged by a person in business to carry out
such work. In effect, this means that only an estimate from a builder,
or equivalent, is acceptable and rules out the DIY element.
This applies to both Full Plans applications and Building Notices. "

This seems a bit off to me. Also, presumably they want a schematic
drawing, or just a schedule of components?

I want to start off armed with a basic understanding before I get in
touch with our BC officer as his reputation precedes him.

TIA
Jono

Remember that this is a broad brush policy to cover Building Notices
and Full Plans applications for all sorts of purposes including
building a complete house.

Depending on what you do or have done and how you go about it, you may
not need to involve the building control people at all. See other
post.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Not sure if this is the same but when i built an extension on my old
house the fees were to be based on the estimated cost of the work, we
had a disagreement on the cost and the building control people asked
me to get an estimate from a reconised builder, i refused and did a
material take off with approxamate costings and said that i would
provide "all" labour free and that it was not ethical to get a builder
to give an estimate when i had no intension of letting him do the
work.
we finally agreed on the fees which where a lot closer to my estimate
than his.
It is posible to barter on the fees.
Rob