Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Loose Tenon vs Mortise & Tenon AND/OR Who Do You Believe?

"charlie b" wrote in message

I guess he's thinking in terms of mortising with a mortising chisel - it
ain't
easy to do that without splitting the end grain part, or he's thinking
of a vertical mortising machine, with square chisel and bit (now how the
hell do I get the end of this this bed rail up under that chisel and
bit?). But if he is referrring to a router jig and plunge router or a
horizontal boring/mortising machine, I'm not sure where the "complex"
comes in. You have to layout the mortise regardless of how they're
going to be cut and the width of the mortise is pretty much defined by
the closest chisel, chisel/bit set or router bit (actually, end mills
work best) - so that's a push. That leaves aligning the bit to a layout
line and setting the left and right stops for a jig - neither one being
"complex".

I haven't seen the article, but just to add a couple of cents ... loose
tenon joinery is often preferred by many on compound angled joints, like
those found in chair components, as a good case can be made that, depending
upon the piece of wood, you can often get a stronger joint with loose tenons
due to grain direction/aberrations on tenons if cut in a more traditional
manner.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05