Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Reusing a compression joint..?

"robgraham" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

--
Nigel M

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on
Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years. Boss White is not suitable for
potable water. Must conform to BS
6920, it doesnt. see www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBW.html

He is right. PTFE should not be used on
brass compression joints. There
are potable version of jointing paste.
This should be used and only a smear
between the body of the fitting and the olive..
Do you put PTFE on the
threads of a compression joint?

Why shouldn't PTFE tape be put
on compression joints ?

It is not designed for it. It is designed to be wrapped on threads. Some
plastic pipe makers stipulate that PTFE is wrapped around a metal olive when
using brass compression joints with plastic pipe. That is the only case of
wrapping an olive with PTFE that I know of, and I am doubtful if that really
adds anything at all.

If I've got any
concerns about one, I put a couple
of wrpas round the nose of the pipe
such that it just covers the olive.

Use jointing paste.

And as for the tosh about work hardening !!!

I never said anything about work hardening.