Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default electric motor forward/reverse wiring?

According to William Wixon :

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

-snip-

We need to be able to identify those terminals. In the absence of any
markings on your drawings, I'll simply allocate letters to the
terminals, since we already have numbers on the terminal board in the
motor.

So -- using the "Forward" image:

(A)o-------o(B)

(C)o-------o(D)

(E)o-------o(F)

So -- one side of the incoming 240V power connects to terminal (A)

The other side connects to terminal (D) and (F).

Motor terminals (1) and (4) connect to switch terminals (C) and (B)

Motor terminal (2) connects to switch terminal (E).

At this point, you now have a FORWARD/REVERSE switch hooked up
which removes all power from the motor in the STOP position, and which
needs only three wires from the motor to the switch (plus the safety
ground, of course).

[ ... ]

quick reply (full reply tomorrow) here's what i got from your description.
i have a feeling i didn't get it right. please let me know if this drawing
matches your description.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/240.jpg

A good thing that you drew it out. I see one problem. I
apparently did not mention that the (RED) motor wire should also go to
terminal (2) instead of to terminal (4).

Other than that -- it looks good.

As drawn, the power from switch terminal (E) goes to an
otherwise empty terminal, and thus does nothing. As shown, it would run
in the same direction no matter which switch position you selected.

Oh -- and it it runs in reverse when the switch is set to
FORWARD and vise versa, swap the wires to pins (B) and (C) on the
switch. (Or the wires from the switch to pins 1 and 4 at the motor. I
think that the motor has tabs which you can push connectors onto, as
well as studs which you can wrap wires around or connect crimped ring
terminals to, so if you used the push-on crimp terminals, it may be
easier to change at the motor.

I would be interested to see what your drawing of my 120V
description looks like as well. It may also have an error from my
forgetting to describe *everything*.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564